Special Education Program Checklist for Parents
This checklist has been developed by the Massachusetts Association of 766 Approved Private Schools (maaps) to provide parents with a means of evaluating various special education programs that may offer services for their child. It is meant as an objective guide, to help in the decision-making process of selecting a program their child may attend.
Please keep in mind the following:
- All programs are unique and offer positive educational options for the students they serve.
- As parents, you are encouraged to visit a number of programs that may offer the type of program that will best meet the needs of your child.
- When you arrange for a visit, request in advance that copies of the program’s handbooks, policies, and procedures be mailed to you, or be available when you arrive.
- You may want to visit a program more than once. You can request a second visit to observe the students in the program.
- Take your time to learn about the program, realize that as you know more about the differences in programs, you can work with the staff and request the services be tailored to meet your child’s needs.
- You will also work in partnership with the staff, and the options offered to your child may be adjusted after your child is in the program.
- You can use the following checklist to help you evaluate each program that you visit.
Find a School
Support special education schools by registering here.