Clifford Academy – The Home for Little Wanderers
The Home at Walpole seeks a Special Education Mathematics Teacher for their Massachusetts Chapter 766 Special Education School, Clifford Academy. Clifford Academy provides a year-round engaging and comprehensive program focused on education, career development, recreation/fitness, and an individualized therapeutic approach.
Under direction of a Principal, participate in the implementation of individualized educational programs for special needs children at varying academic levels; behavioral management and related crisis intervention activities in the classroom; multi-disciplinary treatment team activities; and preparation of related reports and documentation, including Individual Education Plans.
– Assist in planning and implementing of individualized educational programs for assigned students including curriculum and specific lesson plans consistent with broad educational guidelines of the agency and facility as well as Head Teacher plans. Research and collect educational resource materials, and provide individualized academic instruction to students of wide-ranging academic performance in conjunction with the Head Teacher.
– Implement behavioral management program within the classroom. Maintain current knowledge of the facility/agency’s behavior management principles, system, and procedures, including TCI training. Participate in application of the system in the classroom including crisis intervention, use of restraints when required, processing with children during incidents, and teaching and modeling of social and emotional skills and growth.
– Participate as a member of student/client multi-disciplinary teams, provide information regarding the child’s progress in an educational setting and receive multi-disciplinary advice and guidance to facilitate achievement of treatment, behavioral and educational goals. Meet and maintain liaison with collateral staff as required and serve as student advocate.
– Participate in a variety of meetings, conferences and workshops, and prepare a variety of reports and records, including Individual Education Plans, client notes, conference reports, documentation forms, report cards and related comments, etc.
– Assist Head Teacher in maintaining a safe, orderly and neat classroom environment
– Provide monitoring and coverage as needed in the program, which may include monitoring of lunch, recess, halls, and/or chaperoning on field trips, etc.
– May serve on department, facility, or agency committees as appropriate
– Communicate with and involve families in the educational program of each child; assist the Head Teacher in the implementation of appropriate family activities in the program
Education and Experience
– Bachelors degree and knowledge in field of designated assignment or subject (such as early childhood education, vocational training, computer science, etc.) required
– Master’s Degree in Education or a related field preferred
– Special Education license required
– Previous experience working in education and/or with program specific population of children highly desirable
– Massachusetts Educator Licensure required
– Computer literate including Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer with the ability to learn new software applications