Over 60 participants, most Human Resources Professionals and Recruiters attended maaps’ recruitment panel presentation on May 23, 2017. The event was a great success, as one participant described it:
“The recruiting half-day presentation that I attended this week was one of the best trainings I’ve attended all year round, anywhere. I thought you put together a very strong, comprehensive oversight of what resources are available and I walked away feeling empowered, and I teach this at the college level. I was very pleased”.
Some thought provoking tips from the day:
- Focus on recruiting for diversity
- Focus on interns and potential interns
- Build in meetings of all interns several times during the academic year to build that community and connect them more to the larger agency
- Regularly go out to various schools to talk about your school and its positions
- Involve interns in recruitment and ask them to post on social media and
- video interns talking about their experience
- Let the employee tell it! Find ways for current staff to “spread the word” that your school is a great place to work!
- Train them in using their personal social media for that purpose
- Interview staff with interesting “stories” and put on website, social media, or write an article about it.
- Create a video that highlights who you are and why someone should want to work there
- Find students or an A/V club at a local high school or college
- Have an intern to help coordinate video and social media
- Write interesting, attention grabbing advertisements. Don’t just post a job description. Tips for writing interesting ads:
- Concise but thorough
- Replace “the ideal candidate” with “you”
- Get rid of the buzzwords
- Be conversational
- Change the sub-headings: “Skill Requirements” can be “You’re good at:”
- Describe a day in the life of an employee in the position advertised
For more information about the work of the Taskforce contact Ginnie Waldron at firstname.lastname@example.org.